St. Ignatius of Antioch Elementary School was established in 1904, two years after the church parish was established. In 1917 it was decided to build a school, now known as the Boulevard School. This building was completed the same year. From the beginning, the Sisters of St. Joseph, CSJ, staffed the parish school and formed an important part of the parish’s educational life. The new school was completed in the 1950’s, with over 1,000 students and continues to serve the present diverse population of 300 students.
In the 1960’s the construction of Interstate 90 cut through the west side community and divided the neighborhood. As the community has grown and changed over the years, so have we. Today the parish and school strive to meet the social and educational goals of peace and justice. The school is quite diverse serving Catholics, non- Catholics, Muslims, Baptist, and all nationalities. The lasting presence of the Sisters of St. Joseph still guides the classes although there are no teaching nuns at this time in the school.
We participate in the Cleveland Scholarship program, which is free to all who live in Cleveland. Additionally, we participate in the EdChoice Scholarship program available to residents of the surrounding suburbs, who qualify. We also participate in the Diocesan Tuition assistance program. We have many of our students on Scholarships.